Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 4: My First Sabbath


Today was my fist Sabbath in the Holy Land and the highlight of today was after church when a group of us went up to Orson Hyde Park. We ended up talking to some kids with broken English outside the center that were playing soccer. It changed my view of the people here. Just being able to relate to these kids by saying Barcelona, Manchester or Ronaldo. Then later at the park hearing all the different sounds from the city is what inspired this poem if you can call it that.


The Unseen Smile

Noises all around: Call to Prayer, recited scripture,

Voices that sound like horns, bells clanging

Everything so foreign,

So many clashes of cultures.

But, yet I feel peace in the stillness within.

Muslims, Christians, Jews worshiping here.

Paying tribute to their God.

With all I find thee, Lord.

You reside in all that is good.

In truths in every belief,

In eyes of the children,

In people’s faith.

Coming here with biases,

Fearing those whose belief unknown to me.

Thank you Lord for helping me find the love you

Have for them, for showing me the light in their Smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment