Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Shephelah Field Trip

Today we went on the Shephelah field trip. Shephelah means the low hills. It contains the cities Beth Shemesh, Azekah, Mareshah and Lachish; then Aijalon, Sorek, Elah, and Guvrin Valley.
Our first stop was Beth Shemesh that looks over the Sorek Valley. Sadly it was cloudy and drizzling, but on the bright side it wasn’t super cold or windy. Plus, I learned that pictures turn out better when it is overcast (Who knew? I didn’t) It was gorgeously green. The rain has made everything beautiful. I was expecting desert when I came but love seeing the green grass, breath taking red poppies, yellow and purple mustard flowers. I could have stood on the top of that hill the whole day but they keep us on a tight schedule here. Thus, we get out of the bus get to our destination, learn what has happened at each place, sing some hymns if time allows, take some pictures, and back to the bus. Anyways, back to Beth Shemesh: it is believed to be the place where the story of Samson takes place.
Stop 2: Azekah. This is hill overlooked the place where the battle of David and Goliath is thought to have taken place (The Valley of Elah). Our class reenacted the story of David and I must say I have some great actors in my class. I have heard these stories countless times in primary, sunday school, and seminary; but, going to these places and having this amazing chance to come to Israel and be able to put a place with the story. To see the mountains/hills that would have been the Philistine and Israelite camps is adding a whole new element to my testimony.
Stop 3: City of Lachish. This was a Israelite city that was taken over by the Assyrians. It is amazing that they were able to conquer the city because the city was on the top of a hill then had walls all around. The Assyrians built a siege ramp which would have taken many lives and time; though, in the end they ended up taking the city. Moral of the story is that if we do not have God with us we cannot prevail. We walked up to the top of the city and had the other class attempt to attack (throw rocks up the hill...um they didn’t even come close to hitting us...so if it had been a real battle I think my class would have had the winning advantage). Also, the Room of Letters is here... basically a room where they found pottery shards that had writing on them. One of them says, "And let [my lord] know that we are watching for the signals of Lachish, according to all the indications which my lord hath given, for we cannot see [the signal fires of] Azekah." This means that when the signal fires at Azekah could no longer be seen that they had been destroyed by the Babylonians and that Lachish was next to be conquered. I imagine that it would be terrifying to think that I was the next city to have to go to battle. It is amazing what people had to live through back then.
Stop 4: Fortress of Mareshah looks Guvrin Valley. This city is known for their olive presses, wine presses, Sidonian cemeteries, and then dovecotes. Yep, they raised doves for food, rituals, and sacrifices. Mareshah was my favorite place though because we sang hymns in the bottom of a cistern (a hole dug in the ground to store water) and I felt the Spirit so strong singing all together. We sang: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Be Still My Soul, EFY Medley, and How Great Thou Art. The first song brought me into the mindset then by the second song I was tearing up and crying by the end. I kept thinking of how seeing the same valleys and rivers that are described in the Bible is so amazing. I am truly having the experience of a lifetime and am so grateful to be able to here, my purpose here is still unknown to me but I hope that I will be able to live up to all that God has in store for me. I realized there is so much I can be. Now it is my choice to Be. Then, we learned how to use a sling like David used on Goliath. I wasn't half bad haha. My athletic ability has come in handy.
Stop 5: Last Stop-Bell Caves. It was interesting there. They mined chalk here, digging from the top and then hollowing out holes that ended up looking like bells. We sang some more song and then took some pictures. One of the exits to the cave was shaped like a heart (thats for my mommy cause I know that she loves them)

1 comment:

  1. Every time I see a heart it reminds me of the many treasures I've been given. My greatest are my children. They have a special place inside me. I feel humble when I think of how wonderful my children are and that God has entrusted me with them. I see hearts all around me - in shells, in rocks, in clouds or leaves. It tells me that God is always there and reminds me that he loves me.

    ReplyDelete