Saturday, January 28, 2012

Catch Up!

As for what I have been doing... Living in Jerusalem and seeing the Dome of the Rock every morning is amazing! I still feel like I am living in a dream. Then we have taken field trips to Jericho where they think that the Israelites came and the walls came tumbling down, then we saw the kings high way, Judean wilderness, Garden Tomb (thought to be Christ's tomb), and the wilderness of Sin. (Places mentioned in the OT) I have looked over Bethlehem but haven't been yet. I dont know how to constantly prepare myself for everything I am learning here, and to feel the Spirit adequately. Then this past week we were in Jordan. I went to Petra! Oh my goodness it is amazing what they could build back then and how they could survive in the middle of no where. They were extremely creative in how they had water systems and could store water if they had to live purely off of rain water. Oh and guess what?!!! I rode a camel! IT was the highlight of Petra for me! It was so so much fun. The most surprising thing here is seeing how many people smoke. Then we went to an Islamic mosque. It is amazing how many similarities there are between our religion and theirs. Though I still disagree how the women have to cover up out of respect but the men don’t have to do any of that. Gender equality is a lot different here... Simply smiling at people is flirty and a woman isn't supposed to go out without the accompany of a man (brother, father, or husband). While we were in Jordan we saw Mt. Nebo (where Moses died/was translated), Machreas (where it is thought to be the place that John the Baptist was beheaded, so a Herodean palace). Also, we went to the River Jordan where John the Baptist baptized Christ! It was really neat to be in the place or a similar place that Christ would have been in. Also, I love how much we sing here. We are singing hymns in other's churches, Roman citadels, Greek theaters, on top of mountains, on the bus, in valleys, and pretty much at every stop. I have truly come to know how hymns and singing is prayer unto God. It amazes me how quickly the Spirit will come when we sing of Christ and our testimonies. Random quote that I love: "Virginity is dignity, not a lack of opportunity" ~our guide's son

No comments:

Post a Comment